Sunday 12 October 2014

Cinnamon & Raisin Scrolls


When I was in America in 2010, one thing I ate changed my life forever! One of the great things about the USA is the ability to make the most shockingly bad for you junk food taste unbelievably amazing! On a day trip down to San Diego from Los Angeles, we stopped for a snack in a mall. It was one of those places with heaps of options for food. I picked out a Cinnabon. I was sold. I couldn't stop thinking about this gooey, sticky, warm, melt-in-your-mouth cinnamon bun. My memories of cinnamon buns are of a somewhat dry scone. A Cinnabon is anything but! I only ate one more in the three weeks we were travelling around the States. The second was during a stopover in Delaware in transit from NYC to Washington DC on the world's dodgiest bus (Only $20 a ticket- we were certain there was some illegal cargo on board....!) We couldn't eat on the bus, so I save my little Cinnabon until we got to our hotel in Georgetown. Even after 4 hours travel, it was still amazing! 



So anyway, the last 4 years I've been dreaming of Cinnabon's. Although New Zealand is becoming increasingly Americanised, there is a slim to none chance of Cinnabon opening a shop here. For some reason, I've never attempted making my own Cinnamon buns, thinking they would be really hard, or too much like a weird scone. This week I came across this recipe. I decided to just give it a go, and WOW I was so glad! These buns are almost EXACTLY what I remember Cinnabon to be, maybe even better?! Needless to say, I've made two batches this week, and basically the sole consumer (eek!). I added in some raisins for a bit of extra flavour and I think they are just beautiful. If you were like me in thinking that these are too hard, definitely give them a go! This recipe is SUPER easy!


Cinnamon and Raisin Scrolls


Ingredients

Dough
2 cups self-raising flour
pinch salt
90g butter, chopped and softened
2/3 cup milk

Filling
120g butter, softened
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 mini packets of raisins or about ¾ cup

Glaze
1 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon boiling water

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Sift flour and salt into bowl, then rub chopped butter into flour using your finger tips
3. Make a well in the centre of the flour and add almost all the milk. Mix lightly with a knife to make a soft dough (add the rest of the milk if necessary.)
4. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface 
5. Roll out dough until even thickness
6. To make the filling; beat the butter with brown sugar and cinnamon sugar with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Spread evenly over the dough with a knife and sprinkle with raisins
7. Roll up dough from the long side and using a sharp knife, slice the dough evenly
8. Place scroll pieces on to a greased. Cook for 20-30 minutes or until golden.
9. Once out of the oven, drizzle with glaze.
10. To make the glaze combine icing sugar and boiling water in a small bowl whisk until smooth.
(recipe adapted from chelseasugar.co.nz)

These scrolls go deliciously with a cup of tea or coffee...for morning or afternoon tea (or breakfast or after dinner!) Enjoy x

2 comments:

  1. Yum, these look amazing, keen to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bet you could easily do GF flour as well :)

      Delete