Thursday 21 August 2014

Work in Progress: Felt Christmas Stocking Part 1

If you've been following me on Instagram, you may have seen that I've started to make my son's Christmas stocking. I started now, because I don't know how long it's going to take me, and I want to be finished before Christmas! 

I bought the kit last Christmas in the after-Christmas sales. I got it out of the packet and looked and all the pieces and then stuck it straight back in! You may have seen last Christmas that I have the same type of stocking myself. The stocking I'm making for Lucas is the exact same brand! My very crafty Mum made one for my sister and I. They have to be at LEAST 20+ years old as I remember having them when we lived in Auckland. This is one instance where I really wish Mum was still here as I could definitely use some advice on hand stitching and embroidery. This is part of the reason why it's taken me 7 or 8 months to start the stocking as I'm a bit afraid! Hand sewing is absolutely not my forte! 

I'm currently up to Step 4...of *gulp* 57. I'm taking it as slowly and carefully as I can to get everything right. The hardest part by far, and I think of the entire project was the personalising of the name. The pattern was for a red coloured thread but I thought I would make it special and go for gold....wow that metallic thread is a pain to sew with! What I finished up with is by no means perfect, but all the same I'm proud of what I'm doing. I'll keep you posted as go.


Here's what I've done Steps 1-3:



1. Background sequins sewed on
2. "Snow" hand stitched to top
3. Sequins and beads started on snow
4. Comparing what I am making with what the finished product will hopefully look like!
5. Snow progress
6. Ridiculously tangled metallic gold thread!
7. Letter "L" finished
8. Name completed (don't look too closely!)

What's your work in progress at the moment?

Linking in with Leonie this week too :D


 Show & Tell Thursday's

No comments:

Post a Comment